"When you find yourself thinking a negative thought, going back into a past memory or saying something which is detrimental to your well-being, follow this simple technique:
- Find a quiet place where you can sit and not be interrupted, and close your eyes (you can keep your eyes open if it’s easier).
- Bring in the thought, words or feelings that are causing you upset or discomfort.
- Notice how they are making you feel, what you see, hear, smell or taste.
- Decide what you would like to replace the thought, word or feeling with. Perhaps it might be something which smells nice, tastes nice or feels good. Perhaps you have a past happy memory which you could use to replace this thought. Really connect to the state.
- Imagine or pretend to release the thought, word or feeling, so it is separate from you. Maybe you might want to imagine that it’s a particular color, shape or person, and see it as though it’s in front of you on the floor like an object.
- When you are ready, using your imagination, bring in the positive thought or feeling which you’d like instead, and saturate the negative thought you see in front of you. Soak it, dowse it, drown it, and suffocate it!
- Remain in that wonderful state of positivity until the negative thought has disappeared.
- Come back into the room, look at the time, and do a quick jog on the spot… (trust me on that bit!)."